Tuesday, November 02, 2010

30 Day of Thanks #2

Today I am thankful for John. I cannot believe we have been married for 8 years! Crazy! This last year ranks right up there with the craziest yet. A new (surprise!) baby, a new job, a move, Hope in Kindergarten. The biggest change comes with the new job. Have I mentioned how hard it is to have a husband that is gone 4 days out of the week? It is. We made it work, and somehow survived still liking eachother. But, it is so great to really be a family again. We have all eaten dinner together close to every single night since we moved here. It has made a big difference for our little family. He is here to give the bigs a bath every night, and to feed Emmy her last bottle for the night. Sometimes I think about how hard this would be if he was still traveling. Ugh. If we never go back to that lifestyle, it will be too soon! His new job is not exactly the 8-5 job we (I?)were anticipating, but that is probably because John works so very hard. If he is asked to do something, he will do what it takes to get it done. I can't even tell you how many mornings I have woken up, and find he has been working all night. I am very grateful that he works so hard for our family, and that even if he is working through the night, he is doing so from our house, and not hundreds of miles away.

And now for a little John story...
This last weekend, I probably laughed harder than I have in months. In an effort to save a little money, I wanted to give filling our own printer ink a try. John, of course, made a little fun of me. I didn't let that stop me! So, I found a kit and brought it home. I started reading the directions and realized that I could probably use an extra hand. Well, in true John fashion, he comes to the rescue... only to kind of take over. I was really okay with that. We read, we googled, we (he) was finally comfortable to go for it and add the ink. I am not sure what happened, but, ink started spraying everywhere. But mostly on John!
I could not stop laughing. I don't know if you have ever tried to get printer ink off of a human, but it is not easy! After he had tried several things like soap, hairspray, fingernail polish remover, and soaking them, he stared to get a little worried. John has a big training this week, and I started picturing him trying to present information with these hands, and explaining to everyone that his wife had a great idea how to save a little money. I could not get myself together! Luckily, I too am smart, and googled how to remove printer ink from hands. The answer: OxyClean. It worked! My favorite part in all of this was as he was scrubbing his hands, he quietly said, "I guess that's why they included rubber gloves in the kit." Ha! I did not see those, but the fact that he did and chose not to wear them made me laugh that much harder. Good times.

No comments: