Friday, January 30, 2009

Good Bye Useless Body Organ

Why do we have an appendix anyway? At around 10:00 Wednesday night I suddenly had very sharp pains in my upper abdomen. John was out of town and both babies were in bed. I took some medicine and laid down, but it would not go away. I called my mom who lives just down the road and asked her to keep her phone by her bed in case I needed help with Noah during the night. I text messaged my good friend Kelly to ask if I was indeed dying, but she had no service due to the ice storms. I paced the house all night. At around 2 a.m. I pretty much knew I had appendicitis. The pain had moved to the right side of my abdomen and I had a low temp. I was trying to make it until 5 a.m. to wake up my mom. I started thinking, okay if I am going to go to the hospital, they are going to make me wear a gown, and I really need to shave my legs. So at 2:30 I took a bath and shaved my legs, then I took a shower to wash my hair. Smart, I know. I brushed my teeth, got dressed and I knew I wasn't going to make it until 5. I fixed Noah a bottle and started packing him a bag. I called John and told him what was going on. He told me to call him after I saw the Dr. to tell him if he needed to come home. I not so nicely told him not to wait for me to call him, just to get on the first flight out, dear. I called my mom and told her I was going to drop off the kids and go to the ER. She told me that she wouldn't let me go by myself, so I needed to call my sister. So, my mom came to stay with the kids, and Jennifer took me to the ER. We were going to drive to Little Rock to go to St. Vincent's there, but after she took a turn at about 80 mph, I almost hurled and told her, nope, let's just go to St. Vincent's North. There was no one in the waiting room. It was eerily quiet. Still, I had to wait for a triage nurse. Then we got back to the room, and we waited a good hour before the doctor came in. I have no idea what he was doing because there didn't seem to be any other patients. They made me drink two huge glasses of disgusting contrast, which I could not hold down. They took me to have a ct scan, and pretty quickly came back and said that I had appendicitis and they would be taking me to surgery soon. At least 8 more people came and told me the same thing. John was trying to fly back home, and my mom was still with the babies. I have no idea what time it was, but I did make it up to pre-op, and met the Dr and rather quickly they were giving me the loopy drugs and I was out. Not before my sister took some lovely pictures of me. She put them on facebook. I will get her back. Just as soon as I find her 7th grade picture. Look for it here.

Anyway, I got to come home not too long after the surgery. I am pretty sore, but ok otherwise. I can't lift anything over 15 pounds for 2 weeks. Noah is 17 pounds. John is going to have some great bonding time with the baby boy. It will be good for both of them.


Jen said...

So sorry that had to happen when you had a sick baby and a husband out of town. :( Hope you are feeling better.

rocknrolla said...

dear child! i hope you are feeling better today, and that noah is too...what a crazy life you lead. ;)

sullivanj said...

Man, you have an awesome sister!