Sunday, May 10, 2009

This post was supposed to be about biting

This is what I planned on my Thursday Blog Post to look like:

On Thursday I got a phone call from my mom saying that Noah had been bit by a friend at school. My first reaction :"Whew. I thought for sure he would be the one biting a friend." Noah is a big time biter. I have bruises all over my arms and shoulders from him, and he has recently taken a chunk out of his sister as well. (She was NOT pleased.) I think it is funny how different my reactions are now compared to when Hope was a baby. When Hope got bit at school for the first time (granted she was bit by a baby who was much bigger and older than she) I cried, I took her home, I contemplated quitting my job to save her from the gigantic baby that bit her. Noah, however, got some extra kisses, and then, pictures taken for the blog. It really was a bad bite. This picture does not do it justice. (Now it is Saturday and it is really bruised.)

Well, unfortunately, that was not the end of our day.

Not long after this picture was taken, around 6 p.m., there was an accident. Noah, who has become quite the climber, climbed into his rocking chair. His sister picked him up (which she knows is a no no) to help him down. Then, she fell, and dropped Noah on his head on the tile around our fire place. It made an awful noise. He screamed and cried for 5 or 10 minutes, but then seemed fine. I put him to bed a few minutes before 8. He started crying, and then screaming, and just would not calm down. I went back in to get him, and he started vomiting. Everywhere. He couldn't stop. I finally got him in the bath (John was out of town.) and tried to collect my thoughts. I am a natural over-reactor, so I was really trying to keep that in check. I called John and asked him to start googling to see if I needed to take him to the ER. Called my mom, who shares my tendencies to over-react. She came over immediately and asked my sister to come get Hope. A quick call to Doctor Bob confirmed our thoughts that he needed to go in. So, after one year, one week, and one day, Noah made his very first trip to the Emergency Room. After HOURS in the ER, and a CT scan (that was very very hard for this mommy to watch...they papoosed him, taped his head down, and placed weights on his body to keep him still) we found out that Noah had his first concussion. Thank goodness nothing was cracked, and there was no bleeding in his brain. They said he would likely have a headache for the next couple of days. He did fuss off and on Friday, but today he has really been back to himself.

Somehow, in all the craziness of getting him out the door, I did manage to grab my camera... priorities people. This is in the wee hours of the morning when, after hours of screaming, they finally let Noah have a bottle. We were all relieved.

I feel like I should add that because we took Noah to the hospital after he started vomiting (more than two hours after he hit his head,) Hope does not realize that he had to go to the hospital because she dropped him. I don't think there is any reason for her sensitive heart to know that right now. But, I am saving this information for future use!:-) I'm thinking like when she is about 13 years old and her brother is driving her crrraaazy (we all know that's coming) and she is fussing about him, I will say to her, "Well, honey, you did drop him on his head when he was a baby...." Why would I do that? Because, I am such an awesome mom like that.


tallgirl said...

I told peanut that a little boy had to go to the hopital because his sister dropped him. I am just waiting for the day the baby is unconsious because his sister got wrapped upon their game of peakaboo and didn't take whatever from off his face.

Tanis said...

Glad to hear everything is OK......

Laurie said...

OMG, what a stressful evening!! TOTALLY save that story in your back pocket!! LOL! Oh, and you should see Shane's bite marks...looks like I dropped the poor kid in a snake pit. Finley is an AWFUL biter. I think we had 4 incidents today, only 2 of which I thwarted successfully.

Jen said...

I would have gone to the er as well - especially after Natasha Richardson. I'm so glad he's okay.

BTW, I tend to overreact as well. The number of pediatrician co-pays I've paid is a testament to that. Better safe than sorry.