Saturday, February 12, 2011

Getting Ready for Valentine's Day

I have talked about our Valentine's Day tradition on here before, but it's been a few years, so I am telling it again! Sorry.

John and I met while we were in college. When our first Valentine's Day rolled around, John was employed as a Youth Ministry intern, and I was living with a family that I provided child care for in exchange for room and board. So, we were basically completely and totally broke (but happy! :) So, we decided to make each other's Valentines. There were no rules given, just that you had to make it yourself. John's first Valentine to me is my favorite. It kind of looks like a first grader made it :) It is heart shaped and has glitter and buttons on it! He still remembers the other folks in the Youth Ministry department giving him a hard time about making his Valentine. The next year, we decided to do the same thing, and it's been our tradition ever since! I like to decorate our mantle with some of our creations. There are so many now, we don't have room for all! (Plus, I cannot find the ones we made last year, anywhere! This is causing me some anxiety...) We make them for the kids too now, and they make ours as well. Hope is very into it this year. She has been super secretive about what she is working on. I do know that she has used a TON of glue, so I am a bit nervous to see what exactly she has been gluing! In Target today she "Some people don't know you can just make a Valentine. You don't have to buy them." Although she did let me know that she does like heart shaped chocolate ;)

4 comments:

Kerum said...

I have always loved your Valentines Day tradition! Of course, we are those people that Hope probably feels sorry for. :-) Austin is exactly who Disney is marketed to...he loves those store bought Valentines. :-)

I gave him the option of making his Valentines...and I'm a little ashamed to say that I was happy when he said he didn't want to. I mean, his party is on Monday there is not a single name written on those cards at all. :-/ I knew they wouldn't get done if we actually made them...I'm just not all over it this year like I would like to be. I'm hoping to pin him down tomorrow during Colten's nap to have him write the names on the cards.

jilljohnandhope said...

Kerum, although she feels this way now, I am picturing it not being so cool when she is say, 13...

Unknown said...

I love that! What a great way to make Valentine's day special.

Anonymous said...

Precious. Your kids and grandkids will enjoy these forever.